EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT CENTER
AN ADDITION TO THE GRADES 1-4 BUILDING
“When I have the opportunity to sit down with a child one-on-one, it is much easier for me to craft a learning experience that enables the child to enter into a deeper level of understanding of the content at hand.”
- Lower School Teacher
Students learn in their own way and in their own time. Having a quiet, safe space for individual students and small groups of students to work with teachers supports their capacity for learning. These formative years of Waldorf education are the foundation for our children’s love of learning. That’s why it was essential to create a space in which teachers can provide this individualized and small group instruction time for students.
The Educational Support center includes ﬂexible teaching spaces and educational tools that support students who need additional help with foundational skills, as well as students who would beneﬁt from extra challenge. Having a center for these educational services better enables our specially trained support teachers to collaborate with other faculty and to provide the best approach for each student. When individual student’s needs are met, the whole class beneﬁts - supporting a healthy social atmosphere, the hallmark of Waldorf education.
Previously, trying to ﬁnd a quiet space for lower grades students and teachers to work together required either waiting for another classroom to empty or sitting in the busy hallway, which is not an appropriate place for focused work. Tutors, speech and artistic therapists, partnering professionals from public school, and teachers oﬀering a few minutes of individual help competed for space in either the halls and oﬃce, the basement of the upper grades building, or the dressing and music rooms in the Community Hall.
Our new 450 square-foot addition provides:
• An educational support oﬃce, teacher oﬃces and tutoring space for reading and math specialists to work with individual students and small groups outside of the classroom.
• A quiet, sunlit space that honors the children’s integrity, provides
privacy, and supports focused learning of foundational skills.
• Access to educational support team members, who can oﬀer extra help to classroom teachers to meet each student’s individual pace of understanding or learning diﬀerences.
• A dedicated area for educational specialists to work with children on
developmental movement and therapeutic arts.
• A space where students can move or stretch to be ready to return to quiet classroom work.
• A simple but signiﬁcant solution to meet a growing need in our existing community that is also important to many prospective parents.
• A permanent adult presence in this building, which better serves both the students and the teachers.
One Campaign. One School. One Community.
Ways to Support the One Campaign
All donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
Cash gifts provide a safe and secure way to make a tax-deductible gift today. These donations may be made by cash or check, payable and sent to Maine Coast Waldorf School. Or make your gift online.
Gifts of Securities
Gifts of appreciated securities provide immediate tax benefits and avoid capital gains tax.
Planned Gifts: IRAs, Bequests, and Trusts
Naming Maine Coast Waldorf School as the beneficiary of an IRA, a Bequest, or a Trust provides tax and financial planning benefits to you, as well as future support for the school.
To support the One Campaign today, please contact:
Lynne Espy, Development Director
207.865.3900 Ext. 116