- This event has passed.
August 30 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Parents and children of all ages are invited to Maine Coast Waldorf School’s annual Green-Up Day on Thursday August 30th, from 2:00 – 5:00 pm at 57 Desert Road, Freeport. Help us celebrate the start of the new school year by working and learning together, as we “green-up” our campus.
Meet at the picnic table, by the Grades 1-4 building. (Walk up the main path, just past the yellow building)
Under the guidance of Heather Foran of The Resilience Hub, we will be doing hands-on permaculture projects. You needn’t have any experience, or even know what the word permaculture means. Just come ready to work outdoors. This event is suitable for adults and children of any age. This is a wonderful way to welcome new families, re-connect with old friends, learn some new skills, and help the faculty and school in a fun project.
We will have refreshments and light snacks. It’s okay if you can only come for part of the time.
This year’s projects:
- Enhance the yield of the early grades’ kitchen garden by adding annual plants and refresh the sheet-mulching to protect the plants.
- Keep predators out of the kitchen garden by completing the wattle fence that the high school students began last spring.
- Beautify the campus! Add perennial plants to the food forest and parking lot gardens
- Improve the safety of the lower grades play area with woodchips and fencing
- Reclaim the chicken’s yard at the Early Childhood so they can roam freely outside
- Plant more carrots, so there is enough for kindergarten soup this year
- Freshen the sandboxes and sweep the playhouses (great task for younger kids!)
What you can bring to Green-Up Day:
- Water bottle, sun hat, gardening gloves
- If you have them, bring shovels, clippers, trowels. (Put your name on each one.)
- Long, straight, pliable willow branches (or other pliable tree branches) that are 3 feet or longer in length and ½ – 1” in diameter for the wattle fencing – cut within 48 hours
- Forecaster newspapers (or others that use soy ink) to be used as mulch